Nagios and OverCR

slr plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:59:28 -0700

good morning all,

                         i have a question for you NetSaint guys. i dumped
NetSaint and went with Nagios, as stated somewhere in the docs all new
developement for NetSaint will continue under the project Nagios. anyway i
have it up and running on my Sparc/SuSE 7.3 box and monitoring local and
remote hosts/services. i found that monitoring remote hosts/servvices can be
a little tricky, so i found a nifty plugin called OverCR that exec. a perl
script on the remote host called collector.pl that reads a conf file called
collector.conf that resides in /etc. all of this works great on a RH7.2
machine we have at a co-lo in Tex, that is running MySQL and Apache. but when
i try to run collector.pl on our other machine at the co-lo, which is
identical to the other one it returns an error message stating:

Unknown Service in Services:

and then fails to start.

this is snippet service area within the conf file, BTW this is the same on
both machines:

# List of allowed services
services {
   diskspace,
   uptime,
   load,
   #postel,
   process,
   netstat,
   help
};

i realize this may be a shot in the dark, but i know some of you guys run
NetSaint. so i am hoping someone has run into this problem. i email the
author of the script but have gotten no response and google is at a blank and
so am i. by the script failing to start it is not creating its log file so
the stupid error message is all i have to go by. any help would be greatly
appreciated. HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

slr