VMWare

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:22:50 -0700

"John (EBo) David" wrote:
> Upgrade Pricing:
> "Any current customer of a VMware Workstation 2.x product may
> purchase upgrades for $99.00 electronic distribution and $129.00
> packaged distribution.

Argh!  I could have saved everybody's time if I'd only looked at
their web site.  Originally, I'd heard several times that a
non-commercial user could get VMWare for under $100, and that
was why I was considering it.

Now it's up to $299.  You can buy a whole extra computer for that.
Did Microsoft buy them out or something?

My need is to run Linux and Windows.  Maybe VMWare would be a
good deal if I wanted to run three or four guest systems, but
it sure can't be justified for one.

I've got an old Pentium 166 that will run Linux just fine.
I'll keep my hot machine for Windows, move Linux to the old
box (already set up with Debian), and get a KVM when I can
afford one.

Vic