Converting mp3 to wav

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:06:31 -0700

> Wow..this thread is still going..I was the original poster. And yes spaces in
> file names ARE evil and unnatural...as I found out......
>
> I run a seperate script initially to get rid of the spaces. It looks like
> this.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #remove white space from files with the tr command
> for i in *;do
>     mv "$i"  `echo $i | tr ' ' '-' `
> done
>
> It seems to do the trick

It may work, but for the sake of completion, you should know that the
classic replacement for a space in the Unix world is an underbar, not a
hyphen.

When I worked at Motorola I maintained a very large library of software and
work files that everyone in our group contributed to. We were mainly a Unix
house, but there were a few people who were heavily Windows oriented who
would occasionally put files in there that had spaces in the names. When
this happened, a bunch of maintenance scripts I had written would break and
send me error messages in email. Finally I wrote a script to be run as a
cron job to ferret out the culprits, change their names, and notify their
owners, to be run every night before the maintenance stuff.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, Arizona