Mounting network drives

Robert A. Klahn plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:39:02 -0700

You want something like:

mount -t smbfs -o username=tom,password=foobar //mutt/d$ /chow

To mount it al-la smbfs (a.k.a. Windows Network File System).

This is, however, a tad odd in the UNIX world. (Mounting a remote UNIX drive via smbfs to a UNIX client)

What you probably really want to do is add the server directory to the /etc/exports file on the server (do a "man exports" for the format) (*), then mount the file system via NFS (vice smbfs), like:

mount chow:/chow /chow

Mount will figure out that the file system type is NFS from the <hostname>:<filesystem> format of the special file. Add a "-t nfs" to the mount if things are still not working, but you should not have to do this.

Good Luck.

Bob.

(*) After modifying the /etc/exports file, you will want to restart the NFS server. In RedHat, the best way to do this is a:

su -
cd /etc/rc5.d
./S25netfs restart
exit

--
Robert A. Klahn
rklahn@acm.org

"Hope has two beautiful daughters: Anger and Courage. Anger at the way
things are, and Courage to struggle to create things as they should be." -
St. Augustine