VMWare

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 01:15:44 -0700

"Victor Odhner" <vodhner@cox.net> wrote:

> I find myself with a 1.3GHz processor and 256MB of memory.
> This is a dual-boot box, running Win98 or RedHat 7.1
> depending on my mood (and needs of other family members).
>
> So:  Is it time for me to get VMWare, so that I can
> run Linux all the time and Windows on top of it as
> needed?

For day-to-day stuff like word processing and such, it'd work fine. Games
will probably be the deciding factor. VMware is NOT meant to handle
graphics-intensive games (no DirectX, etc.) Until we can do CounterStrike
for Linux, Win98 will always be bootable. Still, VMware is quite handy for
other reasons. It'll work with 256MB RAM just fine, but you might consider
adding more if you like having multiple guests running at once.

- Bob