SuSE 7.3 installation

Armand plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:56:28 -0700

bob smith wrote:

> Hey all,
> I'm trying a SuSE install using ftp. It looks like the
> ethernet interface gets configured correctly. If I
> switch vt's I can see that the interface is up.

I just upgraded using the ftp method and I found that
it will show the ethernet interface as configured even
if all it did was load the module for your particular
ehternet card.

I used the bootdisk, modules and modules2 images from
the /pub/suse/i386/current/disks directory, usually
by the time the images get to ~/current they have the
bugs worked out.

I like using the load modules automatically option on
both modules and modules2.

> However, after I enter the ftp.suse.com IP
> address(can't use hostnames) it tries to contact the
> server for about a minute, then gives me the error
> message, "Error while accessing the FTP server" Failed
> to connect to FTP server. I get this error after
> entering this information manually.
>
> mycurrentIP: 68.3.128.78
> gateway: 68.3.128.1
> DNS: 68.6.19.237 (ns.west.cox.net)
> SuSEFTPserver: 202.58.118.12

The bootdisk I used said to leave the gateway address the
same as your computer's IP address unless you have a gateway
to go thru to get to your server.  In my case I did have a
gateway to go thru, namely my linksys router and so I had to
enter it's address as my gateway, i.e. 192.168.0.1

If your are hooked up directly to your cable modem then your
gateway is the same as your IP address.

> I tried the BOOTP/DHCP option but received this error:
>
> "No response from BOOTP server. bootpc failed to
> locate a network address".

BOOTP didnt't work for me either so I had to know what IP
address the cable company assigned me and enter it in manually.

Make sure you have the directory path correct.  For 202.58.118.12
it would be /pub/suse/i386/7.3

HTH,
Armand