cox mail down???

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:37:45 -0700

I never took the Excite e-mail service seriously.
Did you?  Same with Cox.  I use an account on a
Linux box near Philadelphia for my serious e-mail.
Cox is fine for mailing lists, but I would not
hang a business off a service like this.

I suspect there may be some sort of class action
on this.  What some tech support guy says to a
subscriber may not be what Cox legal ends up saying
to a battalion of law-yuhs.  Of course they have
excuses and disclaimers, but it may not fly for
people who have been harmed.  Anyway, the greatest
harm has been to people who actually lost their
connection for days on end.  Some of them were
@Work users, and some of them lost connection
without having started any conversion action.

But I hope this doesn't bring Cox down.  This has
in fact been a real bitch for them, as much as they
did screw this up.  As the tech support guy pointed
out to me, they really didn't have much time to pull
their act together on this.  I've worked on massive
conversions, and we didn't screw them up, but they
had a year or so to plan!  I still like Cox, and
I like what the tech support guy said:  Cox has
resolved never to trust their ISP service to another
company.  They intend to let the buck stop with them
so that they can deliver real service.  Based on
other aspects of their service, I tend to believe it.

As for tech support, the number that has worked
for me was 800=234-3993 -- the old @Home number.
The new number, that came in the Happy Meal box,
NEVER worked.

Vic   aka <victor@newearth.org>, thankfully!

Tyler Hall wrote:

> Just a final note on this subject, since it *SEEMS* to be back
> up.   Who knows!    Everytime I called Cox's Tech Support it
> was busy, and then I Finally got in.   I had to wait on hold
> for a hour and a half but I got in.
>
> After waiting, I finally got to talk to a guy that told me the
> servers were down, bleh bleh bleh.
>
> I asked if we would be reimbursed for the time spent down (since
> my mom works from home, and she couldnt work the last 2 days (she
> gets her work from email))  His response to this, was "Cox's Email
> is a free service that you don't pay for"
>
> What a joke.
>
> So, don't try to get any money off this month's bill, it's *NOT*
> going to work.
>
> ;) Tyler

Let me be a part of your solution:
 http://www.newearth.org/~victor/resume.html