RPM Rant (was: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2)

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
25 Jan 2002 11:09:57 -0700

RPMs and Debs are close to the same.  Spliting hairs you can say one is
better than the other.  Apt is a nice frontend that seems to work with
both RPMS and Debs.  The thing that sets Debian apart from most/all rpm
based distributions is the strict policy that is used for makeing
packages, and the fact that almost every open source project is already
packaged useing this policy.

The main problem with rpm based distributions is the lack of a complete
package source pool.  with Debian being up to somewhere around 6000
packages and redhat still less than 1000 you have to go to 3rd party
packagers for new rpms.  These packages may or maynot be useable with
your current install.

Just my 2c worth

Bill Warner

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 10:37, Blake Barnett wrote:
> DEB is not better than RPM.  RPM is slightly better if you do a
> comparison of features.  DEB has a couple things that would not be hard
> to put into RPM.  All RedHat needs to do is integrate APT, or something
> equivalent to it in their distribution and the dependancy-hell issue
> will go away.  It's the fact that they haven't done it YET that is the
> problem.
>
> IMHO, Connectiva has done the right thing in porting APT to RPM, maybe
> RedHat will use their work.  I would like to see it.  In fact, I would
> like to see Debian switch to RPM just for consistency.  They would need
> to port over some of the features of dpkg to RPM, and possibly even have
> their own version of RPM (like Mandrake...).  But at least it would end
> this stupid holy-war over packaging, which should have been over years
> ago.  With the LSB, maybe... maybe it will happen, wishful thinking
> still though.
>

> On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 23:02, Robert A. Klahn wrote:
> > Well, yea. http://packages.debian.org/unstable/non-us/evolution.html
> Thats quite a list of prereqs there, but, at least its clear what they
> are. All it would take is a...wait, we have already been down this path.
> >
> > This was part of my counter-rant, that Debian 3.0 is nowhere near
> ready. 389 release critical bugs proves it.
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/debian-devel-announce
> -200201/msg00010.html
> >
> > If RedHat really wanted to shake things up, and prove that this "Open
> Source" thing really works, they would realize the error of their ways,
> admit that DEB is better, and make the switch. Now that would result in
> a powerful distribution.
> >
> > Bob.
> >
> > On 24 Jan 2002 21:45:59 -0700
> > Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> is
> you
> very
> that

> > > ---
> > > yeah but... where is Evolution 1.01 in deb sources?  in unstable if
> it
> > > is available at all - I would bet.
> > >
> > > Craig

> > --
> > Robert A. Klahn
> > rklahn@acm.org
> > AIM: rklahn
> > Yahoo Messenger: klahn
> > IRC: rklahn@irc.openprojects.net
> >
> > "Hope has two beautiful daughters: Anger and Courage. Anger at the way
> > things are, and Courage to struggle to create things as they should
> be." -
> > St. Augustine
> Blake Barnett (bdb)  <blake.barnett@developonline.com>
> Sr. Unix Administrator
> DevelopOnline.com                 office: 480-377-6816
>
> Learning is a skill, you get better at it with practice.

Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.