RPM Rant (was: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2)

Nancy Sollars plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:46:13 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Blake Barnett" <blake.barnett@developonline.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: RPM Rant (was: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2)

> DEB is not better than RPM.  RPM is slightly better if you do a
> comparison of features.  DEB has a couple things that would not be hard
> to put into RPM.  All RedHat needs to do is integrate APT, or something
> equivalent to it in their distribution and the dependancy-hell issue
> will go away.  It's the fact that they haven't done it YET that is the
> problem.

All package management is bad it always causes stress come the end ..

no u cant delete that it will break dependencies .. oh no its the end of my
life as i know it .

rpm -e --nodep --force --F***-O** << I wish this was an option hehe

but still using slack I dont get this issue ... Alien rulez no matter what

If you want a program compile it from source ,,,
why do you have to wait for someone to build a binary for you?

I could never understand that

Nige

> IMHO, Connectiva has done the right thing in porting APT to RPM, maybe
> RedHat will use their work.  I would like to see it.  In fact, I would
> like to see Debian switch to RPM just for consistency.  They would need
> to port over some of the features of dpkg to RPM, and possibly even have
> their own version of RPM (like Mandrake...).  But at least it would end
> this stupid holy-war over packaging, which should have been over years
> ago.  With the LSB, maybe... maybe it will happen, wishful thinking
> still though.
>

> On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 23:02, Robert A. Klahn wrote:
> > Well, yea. http://packages.debian.org/unstable/non-us/evolution.html
Thats quite a list of prereqs there, but, at least its clear what they are.
All it would take is a...wait, we have already been down this path.

> > This was part of my counter-rant, that Debian 3.0 is nowhere near ready.
389 release critical bugs proves it.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/debian-devel-announce-200
201/msg00010.html

> > If RedHat really wanted to shake things up, and prove that this "Open
Source" thing really works, they would realize the error of their ways,
admit that DEB is better, and make the switch. Now that would result in a
powerful distribution.