RPM Rant (was: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2)

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
23 Jan 2002 22:42:58 -0700

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 22:14, Robert A. Klahn wrote:
> This is one area where RedHat has a thing or two to learn from Debian. As I have had to work with RedHat more and more (it is "Linux" after all), I miss just doing an "apt-get install foo" and just having it work.
>
> In short, don't blame Ximian, blame the poor management capabilities of RPM. Rpmfind, and its ilk, is just a band-aid to the core problem, which is, the total lack of ability of the package management system to determine the predependencies of a package.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I could go on a Debian rant about many things (like the fact that a release based upon a 2.4.X kernel is nowhere close, for one). In short, the distributions have a lot to learn from each other.
>
> EndRant.

----
This is kind of pedantic in a way - the problem with linux is also the
virtue of linux...that it is all parts and pieces thrown together and it
takes a bit of collective intelligence to get them to play together
nicely. In this particular case, the updates are coming from an
unofficial 'progressive' area called gnomehide and it's trying to get
the leading edge of gnome whereas the standard redhat isn't touching it
at the moment.

My guess is that you won't find a reasonably current Evolution in any
'stable' source in Debian either.

In this case, he doesn't need to to use RPMFind or anything like that -
he just needs to get up to date before he starts - all the pieces are
there for him.

Given past history, RedHat 7.2 will never have a KDE 3 and quite
possibly, neither will the next release of RedHat. But we all have this
envy - especially of the latest greatest killer app etc. Bloatware at
its finest which means that dependencies run the gamut.

Craig