Evolution on RedHat 7.2

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
23 Jan 2002 22:28:32 -0700

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 21:43, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> I downloaded the dependent rpms.  Ran into 6 more dependencies at this
> level.  Tried the --nodeps Carl recommended and got at least 40 conflicts in
> the installation.  It just isn't worth this kind of hassle and frustration.
> For the third and final time I am giving up on Evolution and anything else
> from Ximian.  They have a long way to go before their programs are ready for
> general public consumption.  I have NEVER had this much trouble installing
> anything in Windows.
>
> I will patiently wait for KDE 3 to be released.

-----
I used to agree with you but you have to understand that it is your own
lack of understanding that is the problem. The problem with dependencies
is really what you have already installed vs. what you are trying to
install and what it thinks that it needs.

Perhaps we started at a different place since I was totally up to date
on my RH 7.2 because of the up2date program. I believe that you stated
that you did a 'clean install' the other day. Have you brought it up to
date? If not, why not just hold on to the files (put them in a folder)
and then do the 'System Update' - since you are on a modem - get the
process started and let it run all night. Then re-visit the evolution
install.

I can assure you of one thing...as someone who saw the difficulty of
going from KDE 2.1 to 2.2, if you think this one is too tough - you
ain't seen nothing yet because KDE-base etc. for version 3 is going to
be extremely difficult to layer onto RH 7.2 - Blake, want to pipe in on
the virtues of apt-get here?  ;-)

Craig