Cable Modem Suprise..

Devin Rankin plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:13:32 -0700

> So, I'll ask directly:  Given that they aren't lying to me (again) and I
> can order the service, should I go for it?  And, if so, are they willing
> to understand that I'm a *nix person and I really don't want the installer
> touching my junk, or should I have a windows machine ready for them when
> they get here?  What would the proper disposal for such an installation
> be? :)

I would give you another "go for it" vote.  There are some problems and the
web site does have a thrown together feel.  But every day there seems to be
fewer issues.  The mail server still fails to respond from time to time.  But
those times are getting fewer and it is getting fixed faster.  A few times I
was directed to the wrong web page.  I put in Yahoo and got Seti.  Which I'm
guessing is some kind of DNS issue.  There seem to be a few topics on the
news server that have not updated since the switch over.   But they do seem
to be paying attention to the problems that are popping up and they are
fixing them.  Some kind of settling in time was to be expected when a network
this large is put together in this short of a time span.  But I plan to keep
the service and I plan to recommend it to friends.

The installer will want to hook up the cable modem to a computer so that the
modem can bind with the MAC address of the NIC in that computer.  If you
later go to a router for a home network, just be sure it is one that supports
MAC cloning so your cable modem will be happy.  I'm running a Linux box and
two Windows boxes behind a Linksys router with no problems.

I don't think the installer will have any problem with you not wanting to run
their software.  The guy who installed mine held up the disk and said "this
is the disk that comes with the install.  Never run it on your computer.  It
will mess things up."  Just setting up your computer to run DHCP and setting
your mail client to look at pop.west.cox.net and smtp.west.cox.net should
have you on line and getting mail.

--
Devin