more Cox transition questions

Tyler Hall plug-discuss@lists.plug.mybutt.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:06:38 -0700 (MST)

Lynn,

That was the longest email i've ever read in my life,  maybe I can help
you (don't count on it though)

I am converted over, and oodles of fun that was.    The CD does NOTHING to
your computer about the conversation, it loads the newest version of IE,
and gives you that lame 'CoxConnect' program, which monitors there
servers.  (Which in the long run will be bad for Cox considering 2 million
people will be pinging there services every minute, for no reason now, but
thats besides the point)

A few weeks ago, for whatever reason my cox went out, not sure why, I
called them and they told me that they were having problems with there
database.  My router couldn't get online.     So,  they told me to read my
nic address on the router to them and they set it into there little nifty
computer, and bang it came back online.

The domain/workstation stuff doesn't matter anymore.   All you need is to
have DHCP running.  If your on a static ip, it won't work anymore.    But
according to your email it says you have DHCP running.   I'm guessing,
there is something wrong with your router, if it works on your PC..
What I am guessing (guessing, not positive) is that the computer you ran
the software on, it takes that nic card ID and gives it to Cox, and says
this computer only works on cox@home.  In that case, you would need to
contact cox directly, and tell them the mac address (not nic id, dont know
how i got that word into my head) of your router.

As to the cox pop3 mail,  right now, it's just a huge mess, i refuse to
use it.    It times out most of the time, they under estimated the load
they were going to have on these servers, and these servers are just
getting hammed.   They said they were having problems converting the
passwords, and I ran into that problem and so I just went to
http://members.cox.net and i went to change password, and now it works
once again.

Well, I hope that helps,  good luck trying to get a hold of them though.

Tyler