Philosophy 101. was Re: FTP Server

foodog plug-discuss@lists.plug.mybutt.net
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:10:01 -0700

> Tom,
>
> I'm sorry if you felt I was being condescending, that was not my
> intention.  I was trying to clear the air a little w/regards to FTP and
> security.  They are only my opinions and were given with the best of
> intentions.
>
> The comment about RedHat was all in good fun, I know Mr. White knows
> RedHat is not "Linux", but a distribution of it.

Aw, shucks < *sniff* >.  Must have somethin' in my eye < looking away,
blowing nose >.
C'mon everybody! Group Hug!!!  ;-)

But seriously:

> On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 12:49, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> > Thanks Nige.  I for one am getting quite tired of all the "holier than thou" flaming from a few of the members who think they know it all and their way is the only way.  If some of you do not want to help us newbies than just delete our messages.  You don't have to flame us and talk down at us like some of you do.  Remember, you all were new to Linux at one time too.

I think (as in IMHO) that some of the perceived newby flaming is culture
shock.  Long-time net exposure, especially on lists, usually leads to

1, religious tolerance
2, a higher degree of flame indifference, a.k.a. "thick skin"
3, use of colorful language / good-natured flaming.

When you ask a question on a list you frequently get conflicting answers
from people who all *know* that their way is the best.  Sometimes you
get lucky and accidentally ask a Holy Question like "best distro", "best
editor", etc.

I'm not saying that newby flaming doesn't exist, just that I haven't
noticed it on Plug lists.

I like Redhat, Nigel's made it clear that he doesn't.  We've each got
our reasons and we're both right.  He could even, hypothetically, spew
heresy about VMS or Netware while preaching  the wonders of Emacs on
Caldera.  I *might* mention that his mum dresses him funny if I've had
too much (or not enough) coffee, but I'll remember we agree about ftpd
dogma.

Read what you like, ignore the rest.  It's all data, and there's way too
much to absorb anyway :-)

Steve
Holier than y'all, caring nurturer, but not a licensed therapist.