AOL/TW wants RedHat

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.mybutt.net
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:21:14 -0700

"J.Francois" wrote:

> I am not sure how I like this.
> Does it mean AOL/TW will start trying to make its users smarter?
> Will they try to stop us pesky OpenSource users from making
> anymore MP3s or ripping DVDs?
>
> You decide:
> http://www.washtech.com/news/media/14759-1.html

--------
The thing I like least about this is that it almost justifies Microsoft
actions to dominate. Having some corporate monoliths behind linux like
IBM and AOL/Time Warner is interesting but in the long run, I am not
sure that corporate interests can really push this boulder down the road
without alienating some of the core of those that have been getting it
done.

The other amusing thought that I had was that AOL was originally started
by Apple Computer and apparently when looking around for a takeover,
they disdained the obvious - taking Apple over. Apple is too far behind
to be ultimately useful and of course, the massive hardware inventory,
R&D is just too much of a financial burden.

I for one though...am not eager for procmail voice extensions...'you've
got mail'. Seems as though it's been done before.

Craig