spaces

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:00:54 -0700 (MST)

Am 10. Jan, 2002 schwätzte Robert A . Klahn so:

> "The space character is excluded because significant spaces may
>   disappear and insignificant spaces may be introduced when URI are
>   transcribed or typeset or subjected to the treatment of word-
>   processing programs.  Whitespace is also used to delimit URI in many
>   contexts." -- RFC 2396 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
>
> RFC 2396 is the current URI/URL standard, per http://www.w3.org/Addressing/
>
> I have, however, seen browsers, and IE in particular comes to mind, accept
> space as valid in a URI/URL. Strictly speaking, however, one should insist
> upon "%20".

What I'm seeing is when cut and pasting URLs into konqueror that it keeps
the spaces on the end, e.g. '%20http://www.slashdot.com/somearticle%20'.
Also it's keeping the newline as a %20 if the URL took more than one line.
Most annoying.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.