spaces

Robert A . Klahn plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 00:37:34 -0700

"The space character is excluded because significant spaces may
  disappear and insignificant spaces may be introduced when URI are
  transcribed or typeset or subjected to the treatment of word-
  processing programs.  Whitespace is also used to delimit URI in many
  contexts." -- RFC 2396 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

RFC 2396 is the current URI/URL standard, per http://www.w3.org/Addressing/

I have, however, seen browsers, and IE in particular comes to mind, accept
space as valid in a URI/URL. Strictly speaking, however, one should insist
upon "%20".

Or, in short, the answer to the question is no.

Bob.