Phoenix Area Wireless Freenet? (PAWF!)

Mark Berkwitt plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:32:44 -0700

Scenario 1: I have a neighbor (across the alley) who is incapacitated from
an accident. I would like to wireless network our pcs together (at most 100
feet).  But right now I don't want to allow anyone else onto my network for
security concerns.  Is this feasible, expensive?  She has a desktop machine
as do I.

Another scenario: my brother has two desktops and a laptop in his home with
a wireless internet connection for just one of his desktops through
http://www.commspeed.com .  A technician stated that although policy allowed
it, it wasn't technically feasible to network all his machines to the isp.
I wonder if that is true.  Below is a link to the cisco card I found in his
broadband machine which is used to connect to the isp's transceiver.  I
don't see why an internal network cannot be connected to this CISCO Aironet
350 card through the internal workings of a pc whether that pc is running
sindows, linux or os/2.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao350ap/prodlit/a350c_ds.htm

I wonder if CISCO's Aironet 350 internal can be used with a linux box to
create a gateway for all his machines.

Any input appreciated.