OT Phone Companies

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 06 Jan 2002 15:17:19 -0700

If you already have any Cox cable service, then definitely
consider letting them provide your dialtone also.
If you don't have broadband Internet access, Cox is a
good deal, and adding phone service makes it better.

We have two Cox phone lines and Cox@Home computer access.
The cable has been almost rock solid; two brief failures
over almost two years, as best I can recall.  Phone service
has been a little better than we had with US West.  And
of course adding a second line is much cheaper since they
don't have to run extra wire to your house.

There's a price break for subscribing to multiple services.
There was a small fee for porting our old phone numbers to
the new service.

We canceled our cable TV service to save some money since
most local stations come in OK via our rooftop antenna, but
this did not increase our rates since we still have two of
their services.

(As you know, Cox@Home will transition shortly to a new
Cox-run service.  I am hoping they will provide more
responsible ISP service than Excite did.  They assured
me that there should be no substantial change affecting
my ability to connect from Linux.)

You can go to www.cox.com and select Phoenix to contact
local sales.

Incidentally, I get fairly good dial-out performance via
modem across their phone lines, and it would be better
if my lines didn't branch out all over the house.

Vic