debian partitioning

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 11:47:23 -0700 (MST)

Am 05. Jan, 2002 schwätzte Gontran so:

> * robert jorgenson (snoogans@qwest.net) wrote:
> > but i was just wondering what people recomend ... i have never partitioned
> > a disk myself ... i dont know what partitions i need to have or what i
> > should have. [...]
>
> This question has good potential for endless drainage.

There is only one disk-partinioning scheme, let it take what it wants for
C:\ and put the rest in d:\. Who cares if that causes resource problems and
data loss. Your data is insignificant! :)

While partitioning generally won't cause a holy war, there are lots
of opinions. Gontran's suggestions, use the numbers from the extended
explanations, are pretty good.

It also depends on what you're planning on doing with the box. If it's a
newer box with >10GB hard drive for your home workstation with just you
using it then just / isn't too bad, though / and /home is a good idea. Give
/ 5 or 6 GB and put the rest in /home.

> You may want to consider allocating space for /var/tmp also, or at
> least symlinking it to /tmp if it's not already (debian does waht?).

No. Please don't symlink /var/tmp to /tmp. I think SuSE used to do
that :(. Files in /tmp should get wiped out at boot. /var/tmp doesn't.
/var/tmp/vi.recover files are good to have around after boot, so you can
recover potentially lost data. Granted, I use vim, which leaves tilde
droppings, but /var/tmp should still stay safe. Generally, just leave
/var/tmp as part of /var. If the machine is multi-user and you don't get any
say about who gets to use it, e.g. isp shell box or developer box in the
workplace, then isolating /var/tmp is a good idea.

> And usually after all this, /home gets basically what's left, or
> an optional /mp3 partition would be good too, just to keep your workspace
> in /home focused.

That should be /ogg, not /mp3 :). Actually, it should be /home/ogg (
therefore part of the /home þartition ) or /usr/local/ogg. Keep / devoid of
extraneous stuff.

> What did i leave out?

/usr/local/pr0n for those so inclined :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans