debian partitioning

Gontran plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 09:38:37 -0700

* robert jorgenson (snoogans@qwest.net) wrote:
> but i was just wondering what people recomend ... i have never partitioned
> a disk myself ... i dont know what partitions i need to have or what i
> should have. [...]

This question has good potential for endless drainage.

/ can exist on <500Mb, I find 750-1000Mb sufficient to hold /bin and
/sbin (so your system can operate in single user) and junk in /root.

With regard to security, it's good form to seperate your temporary
filesystems from / such that a full temp dir doesn't bring operations
to a halt.

/dev/mydiskN	/tmp 	500-1000Mb

All the new software you install will live on /usr, leave room to
grow.

/dev/mydiskN	/usr	2000-4000Mb

I think 3G might be a sweetspot there, even for two desktop
environment systems.

/dev/mydiskN	/var	500-2000Mb

This one is tricky, it's good to isolate /var for keeping logs from
overflowing your root, but you don't want to waste too much disk (unless
you have it to spare...)

You may want to consider allocating space for /var/tmp also, or at
least symlinking it to /tmp if it's not already (debian does waht?).

And usually after all this, /home gets basically what's left, or
an optional /mp3 partition would be good too, just to keep your workspace
in /home focused.

What did i leave out?

//
JustMy.Cents = 2;
PsychoAnalysis.Self.Cost = undefined;	// priceless?
// force that to proper
PsychoAnalysis.Self.Cost = 0;		// shouldn't hurt

Gontran