Distro Wars (was Certifications - Thoughts?)

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:59:58 -0500

I think Carl's advice is the best I've ever seen - use what
your friends use.  If they don't use Linux, I offer this
advice:
1.  Head on over to cheapbytes.com and buy the $4.99
cd for Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, Debian, and Slackware.
2.  When you partition your hard drive, make sure you
create a /home partition and a /usr/local partition.
This way, you can reinstall another distro by reformatting
all of the other partitions (not /home and /usr/local),
and all of your enhancements - properly installed in
/usr/local - and all of your personal stuff will still
be in place.
3.  Try each distro and see which one does it for you.
I tried (in order) Red Hat, Caldera, Debian, SuSE.  I
had tried Slackware a few months prior on another box.
Even though I installed several different distros, the
files in /home and /usr/local carried over, and worked
on each distro.

Another trick you can employ is to use VMWare (for NT)
to practice installing.  If you really goober it up,
no big deal since the VMWare disk drive is just a file
on NT.

Have fun - try them all.  Worst case: you reformat and
remember what you learned.

George