Equipment or assistance

Paul Dickson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:00:50 -0700

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:17:55 -0700, Kimi A. Adams wrote:

> I have posted this in the past but I still haven't been able to locate the
> proper equipment to solve my current dilemma.  I have an IBM Ultrastar hard
> drive for SCSI 3 raid controller card.  It comes from an IBM ISP2150G
> server.  I need to somehow check to see if the boot sector or MBR needs
> repairing.  The server it came from won't recognize it and the admin
> (previously worked here) was changing things on that server when it either
> rebooted, simply wouldn't work or somehow got changed to not work.  Any
> help with this is much appreciated as it would give me 18 Gigs more of HD
> space for hosting, etc.  I have attempted to purchase either a cable or
> adapter that would allow any other server to recognize it, which hasn't worked.

Generally speaking, if the controller can't see the hard disk either the
cabling is electronically incompatible or the drive is toast.

Hardware RAID controllers tend to be disk OSes in their own right.  So
unless you can get the controller to format the drive, you won't be able
to use it.

Mind you, I'm not familiar with your RAID controller, and Googling around
I find that the ISP2150G is an Intel product, not IBM.  Intel's site has a
lot of broken links and I wasn't able to get much info.

What's the model number of the drive (IBM lists 10 model that are 18 GB)
and of the controller?

	-Paul