was Re: Mensan seeks work

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 23:28:14 -0700

Medical boards are developed by the AMA, American College of Physicians, and
State Medical Boards,

Certs for Attorney's are prepared by state Bar Associations.

Certs for auto mechanics are granted by the American Society of Automotive
Engineers.

Even vetrenarians certify themselves.

Why are certs for IT trades and professions effectively granted by Cisco,
Microsoft, and Oracle instead of the IEEE, Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility, and SIGMOD?

((
One is tempted to conclude that the information automation occupations have
yet to reach a level of "class" consciousness that would permit trade and
professional identities to "gel" and produce awareness of an occupation as a
group with particular interests.
))