Mensan seeks work

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:23:52 -0500

Consider me bitten by the integrity bug.  I'm curious how you would
explain to a prospective employer that the reason you are leaving
your current employer is because your current employer lies to the
customers, charges them for services not delivered, and has no
integrity.  Let me tell you, that is a turn off - it brands you
as a whistle blower.  So I had to make up some bull about moving
closer to family.  Now I'm family minded and of good character.

Second issue.  I stand on quality, and refuse to let crappy products
get put into production which would besmirch the brand name.  Now
I'm a troublemaker and not a team player, and suddenly unemployed.

I'm with Trent on this one.  I haven't met a mid- or senior-level
manager that I would trust with more than $0.65 for a soda (well,
maybe one or two).  And I've met quite a few.

I simply accept that bureaucrats and senior managers are politicians,
will promise the moon and then try to figure out how to motivate the
techies to perform within the timeframe promised.  Bill gates did
this to IBM in 1980 with DOS 1.0 - this is well documented.

So now I document issues, describe how to reproduce them and report
findings without emotion.  If management panics, I get overtime (and
more $$$).  If they gloss over it, I leave it in the Problem Log,
and when they ask for a status, I report that 20 of the 55 problems
discovered still have not been fixed, watch them divide 20 by 55 and
realize we have over 33% of the issues outstanding (managers love
metrics) and watch them panic.  Whatever.

Bitter and Jaded,

George