Traffic Shaper

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:10:31 -0700

"Eric Thelin" <eric@thelin.org> wrote:

> I need to limit the bandwidth usage to a range of IPs or if I can't do
> just a range then a whole network interface.  This is for a webserver
> that is colocated and taking too much traffic from a certain IP range.
> I have looked at the traffic shaper modules and shapecfg but they only
> mention compatibility with 2.0 and 2.1 kernels but I am running on 2.4.
> I think the QoS work has superseded that module also but I can't find
> much in the way of documentaion for it.  Has anyone used these modules
> and if so can you help me setup a simple example?

apt-cache show shaperd yields:

 Shaperd is a user-mode program that can shape traffic passing through
 a Linux box. As it runs as a normal daemon, some kind of packet-forwarding
 mechanism is needed. This can be done with the BSD divert sockets patch
 for Linux 2.2, or with netfilter's built-in libipq under Linux 2.4.

The examples provided look promising for what you're after.

Haven't used it myself yet.

- Bob