Mensan seeks work

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 01:01:35 -0700

Trent Shipley wrote:

> Hey man ... you be worth what de market pay and dat all you be worth.
>
> De Man, he not care how smart you are, he just care how much money he can
> make from you' work.

Just reciently comming back from a dream-job interview I really looked
at the situation.  A real analysis of the situation looks more like
this:

1) the gross pay of an employee is only about ~1/2 the overall cost of
have the employee.  There is also workmans comp, insurance, taxes (FICA,
etc. IIRC), sick leave, etc. etc.

2) in order for it to be profitable in the long term, the employee must
produce some tangable effect to the profitable functioning of the
business.  If it making a profit, then figure that the gross revinue
associated with that person must be at least 2x in order to just break
even.  Now also throw into the back-of-the-envolope calculation the fact
that it typically takes months of start  up time and the figure looks
more like 2.5x to 3.0x to break even after 3 to 5 years.  So, if the
company sells some product and expects to only make ~60,000/PA, they
will not be able to take a 50,000 hit unless the company makes up the
shortfall elsewhere and is wanting to either invest in keeping you or in
the technilogical capability.

3) you forgot to mention personality.  No matter how good someone is if
they do not work well with costomers ens others in the work place then
they are not worth having -- even if they are another Mandelbrot or
Dijkstra!

> (Actually, my sister lives in Mass., but she thinks I'm an unemployed looser
> and would be unlikely to let me crash with her.)

let me guess... she makes 250,000 as a lawyer with a degree from
Harvard.  (actually I have no clue).  Point is, Follow Your Bliss.  At
the end of your days (or the end of the paycheck ;-) you will be happy
regardless.  Good luck!

  EBo --