Linux install hangs hard on kernel load

JD Austin IV plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 23:40:19 -0700 (MST)

A K5 is a souped up 486 that although they say it's equivalent to
a low end pentioum, it cannot process pentium instructions.
Most distributions are optimized for i686 processors which doesnt include
K5 processors.  I know that Debian will work since I just loaded potato
on a 486.  If you don't want to load debian you might check slackware,
to see if that is compiled for 386 or not.  Mandrake 7.0 has a version that
is compiled for 386's also.

Good luck :)

JD