linux install

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 21:40:07 -0700

> Michael Henry wrote:
>
> I have a newly purchased laptop, that I want to install linux on.

What make and model of laptop ? (It might be useful to know.)

What distribution of Linux ?

> I want to install it to the secondary hard drive. The medium is on
> cdrom. I have to remove the cd in order to put in the second hard
> drive. Is there a way to install linux from windows hard drive?

>What man pages do I look at, or info pages? Thanx in advance.

A network install might be more straightforward.(If you have another box
that can function as a web or ftp server...)

If your hardrive (primary) is large enough, the easiest way out may be
to 'shrink down' your windows partion using Partion-Magic or something
similar and then install Linux on the newly freed up disk space.

Be careful with 'default' installs that do the partioning for you. They
may completely remove your windows install and give all of the disk to
Linux ! If you use a 'custom' or 'expert' mode, you will have more
control.

Running both OSs on the one HD will allow you to run Linux with a CDROM
drive installed ...

--
Kevin O'Connor

 "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun

The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.