Robot Wars was antagonistic behavior

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 23:43:45 -0700

Trent Shipley wrote:

> Since we do software (Virtual Robot) Wars?

na... unless you do full rendering like Gerasic Park, Toy Story, etc...

> Or better, none of this wimpy ROV stuff.  Lets have *real* robot wars.

exactly!

> My AI running on the OS and hardware of my choice can beat your AI.

like the car that drove around Itally powered by a Linux box?  I would
still like to get ahold of the software and try it out myself ;-)

> -- Classes are by $ spent.   (Eg. [$0-500], ($500-1500], etc.)

and another by weight.  I do like the weight classes.

> -- All participating robots must run on their own intelligence and on their
> own or wireless energy.  For tournement purposes the energy supply is
> considered part of the robot whether internal or wireless.

no own only.  You can use gas, battary, or wind, but must be self
contained.

> -- Human or animal riders are *not* allowed.  The robot must rely on
> artificial intelligence.

agreed.

> [ [
> *OBVIOUSLY* the lower weight classes will be dominated by the free OSes
> running on obsolete hardware.  (Intel 80286 running FreeDOS. It can go
> forward and backup in a circle. It weighs 1000 lbs and accelerates rapidly
> since almost all the mass is the old Datsun engine.
>    Our game strategy is to literally *crush* the competition.
> ] ]
>
> -- Maiming attendants, participants, or judges costs an offending robot one
> level in ranking for the event.
>
> -- Maiming spectators or killing attendandants, participants, or judges
> disqualifies an offending robot from the match.
>
> -- Killing spectators disqualifies an offending robot for the season.
>
> -- Running out of bounds costs a rank.
>
> -- Running out of bounds and out of control costs a match.
>
> -- Running out of bounds and into any native foliage or wildlife costs two
> matches.

but seriously, it needs  a kill switch.

> Plus who needs those _wussy_ indoor arenas.  Let's run our stuff in a
> demolition derby ring laid out in the desert.

For starters... then I think we need to also have other types of
competition... Areal dogfight, water-wars, and sub-teranian seek and
destroy ;-)

  EBo --