Killing X server using ctrl-alt-bksp screws up eth0???

Sun, 3 Feb 2002 13:55:40 -0700 (MST)

Am 03. Feb, 2002 schwätzte Lisa Winkler so:

> That's interesting, I hadn't thought of that....  Maybe they are sharing
> an IRQ. dmesg doesn't say anything about the irq my graphics card
> is using?  Maybe there is something in /proc I could check?  I have
> practically no knowledge of /proc.

I believe it shouldn't matter as the video card doesn't use its IRQ unless
you've got a touchscreen.

My video card is on IRQ 5, which isn't listed in /proc/interrupts. I believe
that means the IRQ isn't active.

I wonder if X is causing some sort of feedback on the pci driver or
something. Any other pci devices in your box? Do they still work?

Try using tcpdump ( or otherwise putting the NIC in promiscuous mode ) from
a console before c-a-bs-ing out of X.

You got any X apps doing something like that? gkrellm?

In fact, if you've got any X apps up, try your experiments without them. Try
starting up without panel or other helper apps, artsd, esd, etc.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
#  I chose to use the kernel sources as my documentation.  ;-)