shell scripting Re: Converting mp3 to wav

Sriram Thaiyar plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 00:36:14 -0700

is esr a competent hacker?  obviously.  why did he choose python?  read the
cml2 paper under www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2 and find out.  his complex system
cannot be practically done in shell script.  c was rejected by esr because
it didn't have automatic memory management, the cause of most bugs.  shell
script do have its places as does c as does python .  for example,
`install-cml2' in the current cml2 distribution has about 50 lines of shell
script (i just downloaded it) to check for a valid python version, before
it does a `$python - $python <<EOF' to the other 300 lines or so, which is
in python.  good for shell script, good for python.  but following the
"coverting mp3 to wav" thread, even a small shell script gives
problems.....

better - easier for the developer to develop in, more fun for him to
develop in since he is not getting paid, easier for him to maintain.

i wonder why you hate lisp and dislike python.  i don't hate shell
scripting...

* David Mandala <david.mandala@developonline.com>:

|  [snip]On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 17:17, Sriram Thaiyar wrote:
|   >
|  > |
|  > |  > - (i think that
|  > |  > not forcing the user to upgrade unnecessarily is a Good Thing.
|  > |