Adding a cable drop to an apartment?

DarthLinux plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 10:09:12 -0700

i would guess that COX is the only option where you're living? DSL is
obviously easier to relocate in different rooms due to the multiple
locations of rj11 jacks throughout homes and apartments

any reason you cant tuck the roadrunner behind the entertainment
center, and run cat5e from there to a util room/office and place a
switch there.. ? apartments tend to get picky about putting holes in
their walls to pull cable thru- but if you tuck it under the carpet-
they're less likely to get upset, and cat5 is smaller under carpet than
coax- so you wont feel it if you run it properly.

this is of course assuming you're not comfortable knocking holes in
walls, pulling cable, then patching/texturing/painting the walls
yourself. i've done enough of this that i don't tend to think of it
very much anymore.
if you have several machines it would be best to have a router/switch
or a good old linux box <p2 133> running that duty locally. <i don't
like/trust cox- they tend more often than not to live up to their name>

long story short-
dsl it the easiest.
if the cable guys will run it into the office NICLEY have them do it-
      fair warning- i've seen these twits run cable along baseboards of
entire rooms.. looks like crap.
       they are paid by the job- NOT by the hour- so make sure they're
not cutting any corners.

then try cat5 into the office.

then wireless <hide it behind a book or something for the SO>

keep in mind- the less the apartment complex knows- the less they can
potentially object to.
;)

DL