XScreenSaver

Leslie plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:12:31 -0700

  David Huerta wrote:

>I am running Mandrake 9.0 and KDE.  For some reason, I can access and use
>XScreenSaver just fine in Gnome, but can't do the same in KDE or any other
>GUI.  I have tried installing in through KDE, but I can't, since there's
>already an rpm file for it.  I have also tried fiddling with the
>XScreenSaver directory somewhere in the usr/share directory, but to no
>avail.  Any ideas?

Type:

man xscreensaver
/kde

And you will see:

   USING KDE (K DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT)
       I  understand  that  KDE has invented their own wrapper around
xscreen-
       saver, that is inferior to xscreensaver-demo(1) in any number of
ways.
       I've never actually seen it, but I'm told that this is the way
you dis-
       able it:

           1: Switch off KDE's screen saver.
              Open the ``Control Center'' and select the  ``Look  and
Feel  /
              Screensaver''  page.  Turn off the ``Enable Screensaver''
check-
              box.

           2: Find your Autostart directory.
              Open the ``Look and Feel / Desktop / Paths'' page, and
see  what
              your  ``Autostart''  directory  is  set  to: it will
probably be
              ~/.kde3/Autostart/ or something similar.

           3: Add xscreensaver to your startup programs.
              Create a file in your autostart directory called
launch-xscreen-
              saver.  Make that file be executable, and contain a single
line:
              ``xscreensaver''.

       Now use xscreensaver normally, controlling it via  the  usual
xscreen-
       saver-demo(1) and xscreensaver-command(1) mechanisms.

My  ~/.kde/Autostart/launch-xscreensaver looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
xscreensaver -nosplash

Cheers,
Leslie