Meeting topic = Sendmail

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
11 Dec 2002 20:48:29 -0700

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 20:28, Mike Starke wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 08:03:33PM -0700, Entelin wrote:
> /_Yeah thats definately true, unfortunately qmail, and postfix cant really
> /_be a full replacement for internal outlook integrated mail, which many
> /_really like :P But they are unparalleled for speed and reliability. I
> /_have been hearing a bit about volution which is postfix baised and is
> /_supposed to offer some sort of outlook compatability. I havent looked
> /_into it myself.
> /_
> /_
> /_On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 12:36, tickticker wrote:
> /_> I agree knowledge of all three is important (I have some qmail, next to no postfix, and have stayed away from sendmail at the urging of others) to me, being from a MS world, it's more important to get people off of MS Exchange and onto *nix than Sendmail to anything.  If there were migration paths from Exchange to any *nix server, then the world would be a safer and spam freer (such a word?), and I could sleep at night knowing that I won't get any more calls to fix some MCPs Exchange install in the middle of the night.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think we are comparing apples
> to apples here:
>
> MS Exchange is a collaboration environment: Public folders, Addressbooks, Calendars,
> and yes, a place for email.
>
> Sendmail, Qmail, Postfix, Exim and others are simply SMTP servers.
>
> Evolution and MS Outlook are simply email clients; both cable of connecting
> to an Exchange server (I think Evolution needs an Add-on).
----
To utilize the collaboration environment, you must use Outlook. MS
offers clients for Macintosh & Windows. Evolution does have a
'commercially available plug in' to enable some of the features. If OWA
(Outlook Web Access) is enabled, you can use any decent web browser on
any OS to access the collaborative environment similarly to Outlook with
a little extra clumsiness of html and you don't get the 'offline' files
options.

It's feature rich but very few companies that I have seen which have
purchased it, actually make much use of it.

--- see a fairly comprehensive list of groupware ---

<http://www.svpal.org/~grantbow/groupware.html>

Craig