"less" annoyance, filters html source

Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:05:28 -0700 (MST)

Am 05. Dec, 2002 schw=E4tzte Victor Odhner so:

> I'd love to have a version of "less" that understands
> MIME types and renders them appropriately.
> I just wouldn't want it to be called "less" !
>
> Why would they CHANGE the meaning of a popular
> command?

They didn't. They added a feature to it. Depending on configuration less ha=
been able to view other files as well, e.g. gzipped files ( yeah, I know
there's zless, but plain old less has worked for me more than once ).

Maybe suggest they make less and mless. The former works as a historical
less and mless is a link to less that works as a mime less. Maybe go the
other way, let less be the whiz bang version and link hless or pless for
historical less or plain less.

> I even dislike it when they replace "vi" with "vim"
> and leave some of the new behaviors turned on by default.

vi is not available for Linux. It's proprietary and can't be re-distributed=
,
even had Bill Joy and Sun released the source code.

vim, elvis, nvi, etc. provide a compatable interface to vi.

Same for pdksh vs. the korn shell. Korn finally released the code for ksh a
year or two ago. Too late. It's already been replaced.

This is why debian has /etc/alternatives.

You don't want to know about busybox :).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  "Communications without intelligence is noise;
#  Intelligence without communications is irrelevant."
#  Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC