large drives and old bioses

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:54:12 -0700

EZ-BIOS came with a Western Digital drive I bought, and
worked well with our old 486.  But I had to use loadlin
from DOS to get into Linux, which was a bit cumbersome.

My Windows world was divvied up into several partitions,
and Linux could only mount the primary Windows partition
alongside the Linux filesystems.

Now that I have a newer mother board, I have removed
EZ-BIOS and am multi-booting with grub.  Linux points
out, each time that I boot up, that a few of those formerly
EZ-BIOS partitions have the wrong size, by one sector.

BTW, I have three hard disks and many Windows partitions,
now all mounted when I go into Linux.  So Linux takes
a Loooonnnnggg time to boot up -- ext3 is fine for the
Linux space, but there's some lame fsck that takes
quite a while analyzing all those Windows areas.

Vic