Netstumbling and US Law

Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:12:17 -0700 (MST)

Am 29. Aug, 2002 schwätzte foodog so:

> "But officer, I'm studying the feasibility of a metropolitan area
> wireless freenet".

Which we need to be working on. I finally got an access point, so I can try
to do my part.

> I haven't heard of someone being prosecuted for netstumbling - yet - the
> lazy sods at the cellphone companies got some nasty legislation passed.
> They were too lame to make their communications secure, so they made it
> illegal to listen on the frequencies that they use.  I *think* those
> laws apply to specific frequencies though.

Someone I know at an ISP was contacted by the FBI regarding one of her
customers and a public post he made about wardriving. They specifically
keyed on term wardriving. She doesn't know what the result of that was or
whether they were looking to prosecute.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.