Netstumbling and US Law

foodog plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:27:52 -0700

"David A. Sinck" wrote:

> \_ SMTP quoth Bill Nash on 8/28/2002 15:37 as having spake thusly:
> \_
> \_
> \_ On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Tony Wasson wrote:
> \_
> \_ > I have heard Netstumbling defended as 'mapping local frequencies in use'. If
> \_ > you are deploying your own wireless network, you'd want to make sure you do
> \_ > not interfere with existing networks.
> \_ >
> \_
> \_      That's a clever way of doing it. What happens when they ask why I
> \_ was mapping frequencies on the other side of town? =)
>
> "I was making sure their antennas weren't too powerful." ?  :-)

"But officer, I'm studying the feasibility of a metropolitan area
wireless freenet".

I haven't heard of someone being prosecuted for netstumbling - yet - the
lazy sods at the cellphone companies got some nasty legislation passed.
They were too lame to make their communications secure, so they made it
illegal to listen on the frequencies that they use.  I *think* those
laws apply to specific frequencies though.

Steve