Netstumbling and US Law

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:05:57 -0400

Tony Wasson wrote:

> > CISSP Wannabe asks: As I read the Electronic Communications Privacy Act
> > of 1986, the intentional reception, recording, decoding, and decryption
> > of wired and wireless electronic systems is illegal.  Therefore, typing
> > snoop, tcpdump, or ethereal on a system (for purposes other than
> > troubleshooting) is illegal.  Furthermore, it would appear that
> > netstumbling and wardriving is also illegal.
>
> I have heard Netstumbling defended as 'mapping local frequencies in use'. If
> you are deploying your own wireless network, you'd want to make sure you do
> not interfere with existing networks.

Setting up a receiver and getting a signal means find a different
frequency.  Staying on that frequency and evesdropping is another
matter.  That's a pretty weak defense - the last time I set up a
wireless network, I was not driving around with a GPS mapping out all
the WiFi networks.  I think it fails the "reasonable person" test.

George

--
              Irrefutable fact about projects: You can have
                it Quick, Cheap, or Right - pick any two.