one question before switchover

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:34:18 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Linux Lover on 8/27/2002 10:35 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Currently I've been running RedHat 7.3 in a VMWare machine on my WinXP
\_ box. I love what I see in 7.3 and especially Gnome + Evolution. I am
\_ just about ready to switch over completely to a pure  Linux box. My
\_ question is this:
\_ Is the XWiindows + Gnome desktop faster/slower/about the same, as WinXP.
\_ Running it in  a virtual machine gives a good feel of it, but I don't
\_ judge speed because that would be silly.

It depends, as with all things, as to what else is going on.  :-)

For comparison though, my p-120 running mostly vanilla w95 and not yet
started on the downhill slide of death is kinda crawly from time to
time, but when running X with minimal eye candy, it was acceptably
fast to the point I finally upgraded it about a year ago.

If it's fast enough in vmware, then chances are it's fast enough in
real life.

:-)

David