3D Video cards

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
26 Aug 2002 09:23:14 -0700

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 08:45, Nathan England wrote:
> My best friend uses a GForce 2 MX 32mb pci card. The nVidia drivers are
> excellent for 3d gaming, but his machine freezes up a lot. When playing 3D
> games or using konqueror to view the web it locks up very often with the
> nvidia drivers. But while using the frame buffer, it works flawlessy, but no
> accelleration.

I believe at one time with much older drivers that this was the case
with nvidia cards, but nvidia seems to crank out a new driver every
couple weeks, and since I have been running the newer (newer than 6-8
months) I have had no problems or locksups at all.
If your friend is running the latest drivers and is still getting
lockups, have him look into how hot his system is getting.  I've found
that some machines work great for most desktop uses since they tend to
remain idle for the most part, but when you pop up a 3d game it tends to
use the system to 100% of it capacity for long periods of time and can
easily overheat an undersizes cpu cooler, or if there isn't enough air
getting in and out of the case any sized cpu cooler won't be able to
cool the system enough to prevent a lockup.  This also goes for the
video card itself.  It could cause the lockup if it overheats.
Also check the placement of the IDE cables, I've had machine that had
great circulation except the idecables were cutting off the air from
part of the machine causing it to lockup.

Brian Cluff