I want to learn to develop web sites. What do I need?

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:38:23 -0700 (MST)

Am 23. Aug, 2002 schwätzte Mark Berkwitt so:

> I'm preparing to begin another project and find I need to learn a great deal
> about developing web sites.
> I have a couple of books on my shelf,
> *Dynamic HTML, O'REILLY, 1998
> *HTML, 3rd ed., O'REILLY, "Covers HTML 4.0", 1998
> both are unused.
> Should I go with a development package, or just use these books(assuming
> they're not obsolete) and use vim or emacs?

Not sure what you're asking here. Do you mean something like FrontPage or
whatever it is that ChillySoft sells?

> Additionally, what do I need to learn if I want to include a purchasing
> feature for selling a very few products online?

There are a few packages out there that already do that type of thing.
Others on the AZPHP mailing list ( very low volume ) would be able to make
recommendations in that arena.

> Do I need to learn XML or other languages/technologies?

XML is a good thing.

At this point I would suggest getting familiar with PHP and MySQL ( learning
PostgreSQL as well is good ). Come to the meeting Tue night and you can
learn about pros and cons of PHP and ASP.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/