[azipa] Re: Contract Position Available

JD Austin plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:52:10 -0700 (MST)

> But, as you've stated, paying what the market will bear is what they are
> doing.  We're just not all willing to agree that it might be the new
> reality.

I second what Brent said...

All I can say is that they'll get what they pay for.
That isn't enough for a professional to be a professional about it, it's
an insult.  It is NOT a new reality.  Don't think anyone they hire at $10
an hour will stay around to support it when market conditions get better.
Sure they'll build it for $400 now.. later they'll pay $100 an hour to
support it :)

Hire them at $10 an hour and you'll get $10 an hour worth of their effort,
and $0 worth of responsibility for what they produce.  They may build your
application and it will work very well, but $10 isn't enough for them to
take the additional effort to ensure that the application will scale
beyond your current needs.  They will not perform adequate planning and
design, or document it well enough so that you can bring in more down and
out programmers to ruin your company.

You won't get the data model (ER Diagram, entity descriptions, constraint
descriptions, table instance charts,etc), UML class diagrams, flow charts,
program flow diagrams,etc.  You'll get whatever they can throw together
with the least amount of effort, because at that rate they will put far
more effort into searching for another job than building your $400
application.

You can have it:
FAST..
CHEAP..
RIGHT..
PICK TWO.

> I'd also say that there isn't necessarily a correlation between salary
> and ability. I'm sure we've all worked with folks getting paid a whole
> lot more money than we were that could only talk the talk, or were only
> experts in their last environment.  You know the type - in charge of 50
> servers in their last job, had no idea what went on outside of the
> server room.

Shhh... he's reading your email right this minute.. (grin)

Probably the same way you had no idea clue went on inside the server room :)
Sure they were experts on their last environment.. and will be experts on
the current environment soon enough.  It wasn't his job to get involved
with aspects outside of the server room.

With responsibility comes they pay that goes with it.  Screw up 50 servers
and the whole company is down, keep it all running perfectly and nobody
understands why they need you :)  (When I did wrong I heard it ever, when
I did right I heard it NEVER)   This is the guy that maintains the
infrastructure to enable you to do your job, you'll only notice when he
screws it up.

Not to say there aren't some 'paper MCSE' people out there :) Clueless
people don't last long.. they're soon promoted to management where they
can do the least amount of damage.