type size on the console windows

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:48:19 -0700

Yesterday a student in one of my classes asked how to
change the font face and size on the default console
windows. Since I've got a 21-inch Trinitron and am
happy with the default, I've never dealt with the
question. So I went exploring, and found the
consolechars(8) utility, with which I was previously
unacquainted. consolechars -f fontname does the trick,
where fontname can be something from the collection in
/lib/kbd/consolefonts. That's assuming you know what
you're looking at.

Is there an easier way? Trial and error with unknown
fonts seems about as intelligent as changing your oil
through the dipstick hole.

And how about setting the default? During the boot
sequence, of course, all you can do is accept the size
it gives you, and if consolechars is indeed the Right
Way to change the appearance once Linux starts,
something could be written into the /etc/rc.d scripts
to boink it during startup. Or something could be
written into root's .bash_profile, assuming only root
would be logging in on the consoles. (Certainly not
necessarily the case.)

The remarkable Linux-on-a-floppy collection known as
tomsrtbt (Tom's Root Boot - tomsrtbt.net) has a startup
to console-only where it stops and prompts users for
the size and font. My guess is that he implements this
using consolechars.

Comments from users with experience in this would be
appreciated.

Thank you,

--
Lynn David Newton