Transparent PNG Image

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
19 Aug 2002 16:14:22 -0700

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 15:12, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Hmm.. are you sure Konqueror doesn't handle it correctly as well?  When I go
> to that page, I get a .png that renders correctly.  So unless azgeocaching
> is detecting Konqueror and giving it a different .png....

I don't have the latest konqueror, but when I go there with it, I get a
PNG that has a sharp diagonal slice out of it.  It DOES do some
transparency in the style of a transparent gif, but when you go there
you should see a smooth fade into the background.

OK... just checked it with Konqueror 3.0.1 and it does indeed render it
correctly.... good news! but I would say that it's still a little early
to start using them all over the place.

With the netscape 4 series browser you get a picture fading to white
with no transparency, with MSIE you get the same with as with older
konqueror which is the next best thing of the trasparency done kinda
half assed and it picking a mid point and making everything below that
full transparent and everything above that full opaque.

I can't want till we can safely use PNG's with alpha channels all over
the place.  It will really make web pages look good, with a lot less
effort.

Brian Cluff