Free Tech Support

Adam Rader plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:47:23 -0700

It has come to my attention that i wasn't too clear on one thing in this....

I am in NO way locked into using ASP. If PLUG is willing to support this
project, then PHP/PostgreSQL/*nix will be the platform used.

Just didn't wanna scare away anyone by making them think I am hooked on M$
stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Adam
Rader
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 2:49 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Free Tech Support

I'm not 100% sure that this is an appropriate topic for this list, but I'll
give it a shot anyway, and get beaten down later if not...

	I came across PLUG's website last night and (after figuring out the correct
irc server address) went onto the irc server.  I met quite a few people, who
brought new light to a project I have been planning for quite some time.
Basically, I seek to develop a free, technical support resource for any web
visitor who comes across us.  Initially I did not have plans to include
linux support right off the bat, but that has definitely changed.
	The goal is to provide SIMPLE tech support for newbies, and over the course
of time, for advanced users as well.  I have already been developing a
framework for  this site in ASP (hold the grunts!), so we already have a
pretty advanced system laid out.  End users will be able to visit the site
(to be located at www.supportbeam.com) where they can search an extensive
knowledgebase, or browse it by subject matter, possibly post to message
boards and discuss topics live on IRC, and last, but definitely not elast,
submit a trouble ticket to us which would then be answered by a volunteer
tech.
	All of this is in hopes of providing a personalize experience for the end
user, hopefully making their endeavour into Linux a pleasant one, as opposed
to the typical RTFM!!! response most people find when seeking help.
	Through this, as well as a crapload of other details that I have already
pondered over, I hope to not only give this project of mine a huge boost by
having hundreds of dedicated linux users helping out, but also provide PLUG
with a platform through which efficient, and high quality support can be
given, and, of course, promote the penguin to death.  =)

	I would love to hear who may be interested in this, questions, comments,
criticism, etc.

TIA

Adam Rader