Learn about linux brochure

David Uhlman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 02:23:12 -0700

I agree that the gnu/linux, linux debate probably would have more fruitful
results in another forum. Please take into consideration as well that the
brochure and my personal feelings are completely separate and the intent of
this is to fill a market need. I would like if I could discuss or explain my
gnu/linux vs. linux thoughts at the next person to person meeting we have.

I would love to look at any contributions you could provide. My struggle is
obvious in the content of the brochure, the difficulty for me was trying to
keep a focus that the target audience would be able to incorporate in to
their realms of understanding while still trying to get across the benefits
of open source.

Perhaps adding the FSF to the glossary would be a good change?

The "source" not being for "public consumption" has to do with the fact it
is about 115mb in size and as you stated does not provide a good
means of contribution. I did not mean to imply that it would not be
available but that it would not be available from our website. As I stated,
the source can be made available upon request. I can
provide it via cd, but for reasons of bandwidth I can't put it on our
website.

Also I can offer a pdf or postscript that has not be prepressed,
nor shrunk for web consumption, but again size is an issue. Are there any
tool/format combinations that would fulfill your requirements to contribute
and support the necessary features? I made available PNG files that can be
edited in the GIMP which is a solution, though a less than perfect one
because contributions would have to be 800+dpi. My understanding is that
karbon supports the ai and ps formats but after testing this it seems that
it does not support the /trap/imagesetting/colorspace/effect/sheer point
count/text linking/etc/ features so it really is not useable. If Karbon or
any other vector tool was used with the PNG as a background and
contributions were made on layers above I would be happy work with that.

Sincerely,
David Uhlman
CTO 50km Inc.

email(duhlman@50km.com)