Notebook Recommendation

David Uhlman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:43:54 -0700

The dell inspiron series (desktop replacements) or lattitudes (small and
sleek) are by far the market leaders in laptops and as dell once offered
redhat for some of the models support exists for all of the hardware
including I believe in most circumstance the "winmodem". Only quirk I have
found is that to use the svideo out you have to restart and let the hardware
automatically turn it on (with windows the supplied driver lets you do this)
though this may be solved with the new nvidia cards.

I would shy away from gateway for service, repair, durability reasons. They
also do not offer the nice high resolution screens.

Compaq's are alright but as one who treats equipment rather poorly prefer
the robustness and serviceability of the dell.

One unique thing about the dells coming of the line now is that the video
card, processor, audio, and some other components are field upgradeable.
Although not officially supported, parts can be ordered from dell and
upgrades made in the future.

Sincerely,
David Uhlman
CTO 50km Inc.