Printing

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:07:59 -0400

Putting a print server on a firewall is a really bad idea - akin to
shooting yourself in the foot, maybe even your head.  There is no
redundancy in case you make a configuration error, which could open up
the box to exploitation from the Internet, and malicious activity from
the inside as well.  In your case, you rebuilt your box and deprived the
LAN of Internet service.

To answer your question - no.  What did your logs tell you?

Regards,

George
"Paranoid by Nurture, not Nature."

-- Original message ---

Subject: printing
     Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:46:03 -0700
    From: "Brett Bunker" <bbunker@hs.state.az.us>
       To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>

I have set up a Red Hat 7.2 server that acts as a print server and
firewall for a small business. They use
Windows 2000 for their file server and clients. Last week The printing
just stopped. You could not print from
the server or any clients. I could not find any jobs stuck in the queue
or any error messages that gave me any
clues to what happened. When I tried to restart lpd it would not stop.
When I rebooted the server it came up
as failed when the system tried to stop it. I upgraded the LPRng package
from Red Hat but still had the same
problem. I ended up rebuilding the system and then upgraded the kernel
to the latest from Red Hat. Has
anyone had any similar problems and do you have any ideas what might
have happened. Thanks

Brett Bunker
Lan Administrator
Arizona State Hospital